Skip to main content

NSW architects working interstate

All NSW architects intending to work in another Australian State or Territory must notify the relevant architect registration board before commencing work. If they do not do so, they may be breaking the law.

How does a NSW architect lawfully work interstate?

There are two ways for an architect to lawfully work interstate, through:

  • Mutual Recognition (MR), and
  • Automatic Mutual Recognition - Automatic Deemed Registration (ADR).

Both MR and ADR allow an individual architect who is registered in NSW to work as an architect in another State or Territory without completing a formal assessment or examination.

If you are working interstate and using the word 'architect' to describe yourself (or its derivatives to describe your services) you must be registered in that State or Territory under MR or have notified the relevant architect registration board of your intention to work under ADR.


NSW architects working interstate

Download the Factsheet for more information.

Download here

  • Last updated on .


About us

Using an architect

Becoming registered

Maintaining registration


Resource library